Pages

Monday, February 4, 2008

Little Homesick

Over the past couple of days I've found myself a little homesick. I've been missing old friends, places, and memories. I think it doesn't help that I still don't have a job.

I've even found that I'm missing time periods. I watched Empire Records yesterday and felt myself feeling extremely sad that the 90s have passed and will never return. I was 5-15 during the 90s. I wasn't old enough to feel things about stuff or go to Nirvana concerts or probably hate my parents. Still I found myself listening to Green Day, Smashing Pumpkins, and the Offspring and feeling extremely nostalgic that the small record store no longer exists because of the larger chains.

The rebellious feeling of the 90s has turned into complete crap. Everyone seems to have cut their hair, had their 2.5 children, and built houses in the suburbs. Essentially everyone became those parents they rebelled against so much. 10 years of angst filled music and movies has turned into a crap housing market thanks to over development. The power chord has been replaced by strip malls.

The only thing that has helped with the sting of loneliness is my wife (although we really dont' get to spend much time together) and Xbox live. Being able to play videogames whiles talking to some of my old friends and my brother has helped me forget that I'm half a country away at least for a couple hours.

I hope this feeling passes soon. I hope I can find new places and new friends, but the problem is I can't help but compare them to old places and friends, and Columbia has some hard memories to live up to.

1 comment:

Alann said...

the best help for you will really be getting a job and/or joining a social group of some kind to make friends. Even joining a gym will help get you out into the area where you can meet other locals