Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Check ignition and may gods love be with you

It's moments before work. The main character sips in a few last precious moments of free air. He suits up.

He swivels the arm around and takes a seat.Motors and belts spin the disk around. A familiar scratching fills the air like instruments being tuned. He closes his eyes and let's the countdown take over.

"Ground control to Major Tom.
Commencing countdown, engines on
Check ignition and may gods love be with you."

His seat rumbles and he takes a deep breath and utters to himself, "This is just another day. A day like yesterday, and not much different from tomorrow. But why is it so hard to do my job today?"

"Planet Earth is so blue, and there's nothing I can do."

He spins around the planet wondering what next. If the stars can't change, how is he supposed to.

He thinks about how sometimes it seems that his enemy is the closest thing he has to a friend. When he mind goes to that dark spot the chorus swells and a calm washes over him.

"Im feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go"

Just as the song is about to end I remember the first time I heard the song. The first time David Bowie inspired my life. It was for television spots for Apollo 13. I remember sitting on the couch and hearing "Tell my wife I love her very much she knows..." and thinking that the song could only be inspired by a lost spaceman.

The months and years of dust and grime on the record just about made the record unplayable. The speakers scratch my eyes awake.

I sighed, looked down and realized I didn't have a spacesuit on. Only a cheap tie that was falling apart, but somehow it felt alright today.

Yeah, I would be alright today.

No comments: