Wednesday, May 8, 2013

It's Been 7 Days

It's been a full week. Feels like it has only been a day or two.

Tuesday-Thursday of last week were tough. I was on crutches, generally didn't feel like myself, and thought summer this year was lost. I'm blaming the anesthesia.

We removed all my bandages on Sunday and it looks like I had five incisions total. My knee is of course swollen to three times its size and you can barely see my knee cap. But that'll go down soon enough.

I'm starting to feel "normal." (Whatever that means anymore.) I've been able to get around without my crutch (in my leg brace of course) but I do get tired quickly. And even though I haven't been able to bend my leg yet, I can tell my knee feels more right.

It's hard to explain how it felt before. It was like I had a functional knee, but I didn't. It was almost as if someone put a hard wedge behind my knee cap. I could move my knee, but the longer I walked the more that wedge pushed on my knee cap. Eventually I would feel like my leg was jetting outside and getting stiffer. As I got more tired, pain would creep in.

Now it feels like that wedge has been replaced with a soothing gel. I'm interested to see how my knee reacts to when I can start bending it.

I had my first outing last night. We went out for dinner with Sal's dad. It was fine until the end, my leg started hurting. It's hard to sit in those type of chairs if you can't bend your leg. Everything starts going numb. Then Sallie and I went to Target to grab a couple quick things and by the time we were done with that my foot was swollen and my leg hurt.

I've been able to get a lot of writing done that I've been meaning to do. I've just about finished a short story. I haven't written a new short story since college, so its been fun. Debating on whether I'll post it to my blog once its finished so everyone can read it. It might be a little long to read in blog form, but we'll see how I feel when I actually have an ending.

Also been talking to Brett about a game we've discussed developing a few times. I can't wait for his school to calm down a bit. (probably after graduation) Between his programming, my ideas, and Rosie's art, we've got a small development team. Maybe we can get something ready by the next console launch.

I might have to stay out of work another week or so. I'm still not sleeping for more than 3 hours at a time and often find myself dozing during the day. Can't really do that when I'm on the phones.

I also anticipate starting physical therapy next week. And if its even half as tough as it was last time, I'll be exhausted on those days and need to nap often.

I go to the doc Friday, so by then I should have a full update.

Until then, Let's Go Blues!