Pages

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Post Number 100- Shhh! It's a secret

Yes, I finally hit post number 100 for this blog. I've gained a couple fans along the way, and probably lost a few daily readers with the sheer volume of thoughts streaming from my head to the internet. Anyway, todays topic is clubs and secret societies.

I met with a recruiting office the other day because of a potential job opportunity with Monsanto. Even though I swore that I wouldn't use a recruiter, I'm now figuratively in bed with two. Why then did I go from 0 to 2? It all starts with a handshake as far as I can figure. Desperate recruiters bark like hungry dogs at the food source, also known as Big Company America. (BCA)

These recruiters promise to fill any open position with many qualified applicants as long as BCA won't hire outside of recruiters. Its like a secret fraternity of desperate dogs.

Speaking of fraternities, when I told the recruiter I was never in one, there was a face of disappointment. Like perhaps the doggie couldn't make the master happy enough with me. Like somehow spending my college life in a building with 50 other guys somehow made me more qualified. (Which they kept repeating that I didn't have enough experience or qualifications for anything until I ran the IT guantlet and repeatedly told them I was in fact qualified enough)

I've never seen the appeal of these exclusive clubs. I suppose sometimes you make great friends there. Sometimes there are benefits such as clubhouses or free drinks and parties. But I always like going my own way. As I grew older and learned my history, it became apparent to me that these exclusive clubs have always ran society in one way or another, and this country is especially fond of the secret society.

The Stone Masons practically ran the country in its birthing years with members like George Washington, James Monroe, and Ben Franklin. Who's to say they still aren't in power? Smiling George and Happy Go Lucky Bill might drop their party affilliations and enjoy a beer together once a month to have a laugh about the current state of the world and plan out the next 10 years.

Colleges prep young men (and women) to join these secret societies with such emphasis put on the benefits of fraternities. Members aren't allowed to talk about their initiation, what they do, and on the weekends they put on the I'm completely drunk front. Maybe I underestimated the hundred of drunk frat boys surrounding "the Place." Perhaps they were deciding which construction projects were next on campus and how much to pay the new dean.

That's the thing about secret societies, if they are really doing their job right, you won't even know they exist.

No comments: