Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Going to get cut again

So I went in to see the surgeon for my quarterly checkup. We joked that when this is all said and done, we will feel weird not seeing each other. I might throw quarterly knee BBQs so the surgeon, nurse, Sallie, and I can hang out.

As predicted, I'll need another surgery to right my knee. Basically the outside of my knee has healed 100%, but all the inside ligaments are still damaged which is why I still can't run and sometimes get tired walking.

My ACL is completely wrecked. It looks like a shriveled little worm on the sidewalk in summer. So the doc is ordering a donor ACL.

My PCL is hanging on by a thread. He said that it might not be a big deal. People live with torn PCLs all the time, but if he can fix it easily, he'll do it. He's going to go ahead and order a donor PCL as well. He described these donors pieces as frozen meat. Basically it sounds like if he doesn't need to use it on me, he can put it back in the freezer.

So I'll be getting this done around late April or early May. Basically, Sal and I need to sit down and decide when we have a few weeks open.

Sounds like this time I will be on crutches immediately and walking within 6 weeks. And the doctor says, within 5-6 months, I'll be able to jog again for the first time in 2 years. It's going to feel weird.

So I'll need lots of entertainment for a few weeks while I sit on the couch in a painkiller induced haze. I'll accept this entertainment in any form anyone wants to provide.

1 comment:

aunt L said...

i'll send over the 3 amigos...they are quite entertaining if not demanding :)
oh wait you have your own...
lol