Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Living the Busy Life

It's been a long time since I've truly written a blog. I could use the typical excuse of I've been busy, but I just feel like that's an overused excuse by humans. When did we become so busy? What happened to the town carnivals or wandering endlessly through nature trails and parks with friends?

Riding a bike used to be a targetless hobby. I would ride up and down streets endlessly, just happy to feel the wind.

So instead of just saying things have been busy I'm going to say I've been adult productive.

There are a few positions opening at my current job. They've actually been opening for several weeks now, but I've been told that interviews should be scheduled this week.

Hope, pray, sacrifice goats, or do a dance around a fire. Whatever it is you do, do it for me. I've been working extremely hard setting myself apart from the crowd to just get laid off in December because of some ridiculous rule within the company.

I want to stop worrying about employment. We graduated at probably the worst time to graduate college in the history of the country. Sallie is one of the few people I know that actually is doing something related to her degree. The rest of us were thrust into a horrible economy with tens of thousands of dollars in student loans. I found something I like doing and I would like to keep doing it.

Sallie and I also fell in love with a house only two blocks from our house and were more than willing to buy it that day. Common sense took over after a brief discussion with our cousin Eric. He gave some good advice and tips and will help us if we want it.

We never really wanted a house because it felt too permanent. We wanted to head for the mountains once the economy got better, but Sallie and I are in a good place right now. We can see ourselves settling in St. Louis for a few years. At least long enough for a house to increase in value. And no matter how much I don't want to admit it, my cats are my children. I come home from work and they are so happy to see me. I think they deserve a little more frolicking room. (And we deserve a room to lock Slider in far away from our bed.)

So, potentially, if I land this job, we're going to start looking at real estate in the next month or so.

Also, something that has been on the back burner for two years now is our honeymoon. Unlike most married couples that get to spend their wedding loot on a honeymoon to Cancun, we were broke and unemployed. Our honeymoon money bought some nice creditor a fancy dinner as we paid off a large chunk of our moving back debt. We feel we've earned the vacation. We want to go to Ireland and drink a Guinness in a pud. We want to head to Britain and scream blind slurs at the opposing team. I want to get a passport and get some stamps in it damnit!

Three other projects I'm taking on right now are also eating time.

First, I'm going through all of my music and fixing tags and downloading album info. This has taken two weeks so far and I've only gotten through the "Bs."

Second, I think I'm going to make this blog more of an interactive website. We have the Adobe Creative Suite and don't use it enough. I'm going to start ripping into Dreamweaver and see what I can create.

Third, www.circuitjerk.com has been keeping me busy. We've been getting a decent amount of hits, have survived a year, and have the fall/winter gaming season upon us.

I hope to start doing this regularly again. I also hope to actually do Pop Culture for the Inexperienced a bit more. Maybe not weekly like I would like, but bi-weekly I would hope.

No comments: