Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2008

The thrill of buying furniture

I don't know what it is, but buying furniture excites me almost more than anything. Besides a bed and maybe a dresser though, furniture is a weird concept. Furniture falls into two categories.

A) Furniture provides a place to rest the human body on. This concept is an obvious one I'm assuming evolved from early humans sitting on logs and sleeping on cave floors. We get tired running the world and sometimes the only way to properly rest is to come home and kick out the recliner or find our sleep number. This makes sense to me.

B) Furniture provides a place to rest things on or in. Now, this concept might not sound wierd when stated like that, but think about this. In a capitalist society, humans buy lots of things. (Many things we end up not needing. I once bought a giant 3 foot by 2 foot calculator just because it was hilarious. The thing hung out in my room for three years before I finally pitched it.) We bring these things back to our homes and find that we have no place to store our things. The solution: We buy more things to store the other things we already have.

I only realized how human this concept was when I moved to Myrtle Beach. My new wife and I realized how many things we owned, but how little furniture we actually owned. For two weeks all of our "Stuff" has been in boxes. We naturally went to the furniture store to solve this problem. (Actually make that stores, we went to 6 total) The smell of fresh unused furniture started burning my nose, my heart started beating, adrenaline started pumping. I honesty don't know if I get this excited when buying new video games or books.

We spent 4 hours the first day searching the vast seas of stained wood and upholstery. The second day we returned to a place and bought a bed, dresser, mirror, coffee table, end table, night table, and couch. We spent almost $2000 on stuff to store stuff.

Anyway, I lost steam on my furniture rant while watching MTV. I'm currently watching a very nerdy kid from the suburbs trying to be Made into a rapper. His trainer is Talib Kweli and Jean Grai. Jean was trying to get emotion out of him and was trying to get him to ask her to battle, but he sounded so unsure of himself. She called him "MC Movie Phone." I thought it was hilarious.

So I guess that's how the blogs will go. Anything that pops into my head will become yet more trash on the internet.

On a side note and much less trashy, Heath Ledger died two days ago. Normally the death of a celebrity is sad, but usually doesn't affect me. I think the last time I felt anything was the death of Steve Irwin. Usually, my celebrity mourning is reserved for special celebs. Mr. Ledger wasn't in any of my favorite movies, probably not even my top twenty, but the man blew me away with every performance he's ever had. I thought he was great in "10 Things I Hate About You", "The Patriot", "Brokeback Mountain", and he was so good in "Lords of Dogtown" I didn't even know it was him until the credits rolled. I can only imagine how amazing he's going to be as the Joker in the new Batman movie. The trailers alone creep me out, and make me feel extremely unsafe. His death feels like River Pheonix's fifteen years ago. A person that carefully choose his movie rolls, refusing to fall into a category or stereotype, and was considered a heart throb and a talented actor simultaneously. His talent will be missed by people that truly appreciate movies that aren't the typical Hollywood vomit.

No comments: