Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Why I'm Awesome

So yesterday, I had to go into the office.

No wait, let me back it up to Monday. I get an email inviting me to be a part of a focus group with one of the big wigs within technology. Didn't really think anything of this. My supervisor often has me go to these sorts of meetings and report back to him. So I accept.

Ok, so flash forward to Thursday. I'm in the office, realizing I'm the only one in that day. Figured everyone's schedule got messed up from the short February month. So it didn't surprise me.

I go into the conference room at 2 pm and sit down. I start chatting with one of the escalation supervisors since I hadn't seen in him in a while. More and more people start coming in but I don't really pay attention.

Then they connect the conference call. I look around and realize its me, 4 direct supervisors, their supervisor, the supervisor of our request center team, and on the phone is a bunch of much higher ups.

I look at the escalation supervisor and say, "Why they hell am I in here? I feel like I don't belong." Everyone has a good laugh.

So the call starts and they start blabbing on about how as a company we've been doing really well and we've overcome all these obstacles, synergy, and all these other buzz words. I'm glad I took a 5 Hour Energy at this point cause otherwise I would've passed out.

So then, the conference phone cuts out, and we hear "If you would like to unmute your line, press the pound key. To stay muted, do nothing. If you would like to know more shortcuts press 0." And when the message ends, I hear my name, and a few other names, and then some cheering. I still have no context for why people are cheering on the phone.

Meanwhile, everyone in the room with me is shaking their heads or laughing hysterically. Eventually, our head supervisor Russ turns to my direct supervisor (also named Russ) and says, "Just give him the darn packet."

So I'm handed a thick packet of information and start looking through it. Slowly its dawning on me that I just got a huge honor.

I was selected as a "Technology and Operations Group 2012 Top Performer." I'm one of 12 people selected out of about 1,000 under my tech umbrella. Only 3% in all of technology (about 9,000 people) within Wells Fargo were selected.

Not only do I get to put this on my resume, but Wells is flying Sallie and me to Chicago May 10-11th, getting us a swank hotel on the Magnificent Mile and feeding us, throwing a party for us, and probably boozing us. Everything is paid for. I also will be getting some sort of medal and certificate showing how awesome I am.

No comments: