Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Canoe Away for True Happiness

The past two weeks of work have been one of those disgustingly busy times where you go into auto-pilot mode. You're knocking things out as they come and doing a great job. You never really feel rested. You have trouble sleeping from your caffeine induced alertness. You know that you can get through it, as long as no curve balls come your way.

Today, I got smacked in the face with a fast curve ball as I logged into my email.

A fix for an issue we've seen over the past few weeks had been passed around between various help desks. It was one of those unwritten fixes everyone knew. I documented this fix to make sure no one messed it up, and hell fire rained down from there. I don't want to go into the details because I don't like to talk specifics of work, but I spent the rest of the day trying to recover and prove my innocence.

It's a three day weekend for most of the employees because the market is closed for Good Friday, which means highly stressed brokers trying to get last minute things finished before all the support groups leave. Which means they are short-tempered and willing to tear anyone that will listen down. It seemed like everyone was in this mood.

After a day like today, I lean back in my chair and close my eyes and try to think of my happy place.

For some reason the first thing that pops into my mind is me, by myself in a canoe, in the middle of a lake. I'm not sure if I've actually ever been to this lake. It seems familiar but I can't quite place it.

I'm surrounded by the tallest trees, all of them draped with Spanish Moss. The air is thick in pollen and flowers, but my allergies are just fine.

I lay back in the canoe, reach behind me into a cooler, and grab one of the coldest beers imaginable. My legs hang over either side of the canoe and my feet dangle into the refreshing water. The sun shines on my body and the only shadow cast is that caused by the smile on my face.

Then the phone rings and I'm back at work, the computer monitors are my prison walls and the wireless headset is just a pseudo freedom. I'm still very much chained to my desk.

Speaking of Spanish Moss, there's an Against Me! song called "Spanish Moss" that is exactly about getting away.






No comments: