Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Tell Me Your Story

I had an extra lawnmower that has given me multiple issues over the year I had it. About six weeks ago, the lawnmower I inherited from the parents stopped working. I just couldn't get the engine to turn over. It was probably something simple like a spark plug or dirty filter, but I have another lawn mower that I like using better, and I don't have time to actually try to figure out the machinery. (Although I should have just tinkered to win some man points.)

So, Sallie and I decided we needed to get it out from under our porch and get it to someone else. Why let a perfectly broken lawnmower rust and rot?

So I was going to post it on Craigslist for $20 or some small amount of money that couldn't possibly be haggled. For those of you that don't know, I hate dealing with the people that frequent Craigslist. (See my post if you would like to know the reasons.)

Lately, I've been thinking I need to do some sort of charity or volunteer work. Then it dawned on me. I could really help someone out.

So I posted to Craigslist that I would give the lawn mower away for free. I asked that it go to a house that could really use it.

Within 10 minutes I had something like 30 emails. Most the replies were simple, "I'll take the lawn mower if you still have it." There were a few people that did some generic

Then, about six messages in there was a guy that simply said, "If the lawn mower is available, I would be interested in it. I lost my job a few months back and have been making ends meet by buying household appliances, fixing them up, and selling them."

I thought back to two years ago when Sallie and I were out of work and how desperate we were to make a few dollars. If I could give this guy a lawn mower, he could fix it, and sell it for say $50, maybe that would mean one more bill paid.

So I gave it to him. He came by our house, was very grateful. He had a little girl with him, probably six, in a soccer uniform, with freckles all over her face and she told me thank you. It felt good. Just a simple act in a "One man's trash is another man's treasure" situation, and I felt good and some stranger felt good.

I want to do more. Tell me your story, tell me how I can help you, and I will be there.

No comments: