Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Why I have no cell phone minutes

In an effort to save money, last summer, Sallie and I switched to a pay as you go phone plan with only 300 minutes a month. So far, this hasn't been an issue. I usually have nearly 200 minutes left and Sallie is usually around 30 minutes.

But this month, I find myself with only 3 minutes left and Sallie is under the 15 minute mark and these are just some of the reasons why.


  1. Pre-surgery prep - 2 phone calls for pre-surgery questions. These calls were only about 10-15 minutes a piece, so not a huge chunk.
  2. Home Owners insurance - So this is a multi-part debacle. To summarize a much longer story, Sallie and I found out our old home owners insurance wrote up a fraudulent policy in order to get us a cheaper policy and get our business. They decided to come and collect the extra money we haven't been paying for 3 years now. When they asked us to switch our car over to them, we decided to leave them. You know, because they essentially lied to us for 3 years. Spent a week calling 8 different insurance agents, making call backs, and ultimately deciding on American Family Insurance. 
  3. Refinancing of the house and debacle part 2 - We refinanced our house. Our mortgage company cut our old insurance company a check from our escrow account before we could tell them we were switching. So, we spent most of last week calling our old insurance company to get a refund, calling the mortgage company to find out what we can do to make sure we're insured, and trying to get a hold of our new insurance company. This issue has still not been resolved and I had to buy minutes from Skype so that I can make calls today. 
  4. The tree - I had 3 separate tree guys come to give me quotes. The tree guy that gave me the quote for about $250 less than anyone else is a talker. He likes to not only say something, but then repeat it in a slightly different way, all while not telling me important things like total cost. I spent 100 minutes this month talking to these tree guys. I thought I had a done deal, but our guy called yesterday to say, "We basically didn't bid enough and can't make money. We have to walk away." It took him 17 minutes to say that. Thus, why I only have 3 minutes left.
So, I will not be able to answer my phone or call anyone until Sunday. Just wanted to throw that out there so no one has hurt feelings or thinks I'm dead or dying. 



No comments: