Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

The Heart Attack

Well, had a scare.

Starting last Wednesday, I felt weird. Like shaky. Not exactly dizzy, but just like if someone were to push me in the shoulder, I'd probably go down. My sinuses felt pressured, my eyes felt dried out, and I couldn't concentrate.

That night, as I was falling asleep, I had an intense, almost heartburn situation. I couldn't fall asleep for several hours. I thought briefly, what if I'm having a heart attack. 

I woke up the next morning, Thursday, still feeling really out of it. I sort of thought, "Well, maybe I'm getting sick, or maybe its because I haven't gotten sleep, I've had nothing but cookies, fried food, and red meat for the past three weeks, etc." 

I was taking a half day anyway on Friday, and I was feeling well enough to where I thought I could just wait until then and go to the doctor.

I signed into work, started taking calls. Things were going alright, but I felt really cold. Then I got a call from a guy that is a known jerk to everyone on the help desk. He started giving me crap, and I  my heart started pounding hard enough to where I could hear my pulse in my ear, my hands were a little numb, I was shaking, and I could think straight. 

Really, all I could think is, "My god, I'm having a heart attack and this jackass will be the only witness to my last words."

I got off the phone with him, let me boss know I had to leave immediately, and I drove (luckily we had an extra vehicle that day) to urgent care. 

After sitting in the cesspool that was the waiting room for an hour, I was brought in. They took my blood pressure, pulse, temp, and hooked me up to an EKG.

Turns out I wasn't having a heart attack. I was diagnosed with extreme stress mixed with it all coming to the surface as an anxiety attack. 

It makes sense, ever since Sallie went in for surgery in mid-December, we've had non-stop guests, events, drama, and extra financial burdens. I haven't had a good night of sleep since Sallie's surgery and I haven't had any time to sit down and get my head together. 

So, now our guests are gone, there aren't any real events on the calendar in the near future, and Sallie and I are starting a new diet to get our bodies back on track from before the holidays. I feel much better than I was last week, but it was a reminder that we cannot make everyone else happy, we really have to worry about us first and then others later.

I'm not even 30 and I've had a heart attack scare, both my knees are busted, and I'm bald. That's what gamers call a bad dice roll. 

No comments: