Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sleepless Nights in property I don't own.

Its been weeks since my last update, but I have a good reason. My cat ate my blog. :)

Alright, extremely lame start. So here's the deal.I've been working 55-65 hours a week. I basically wake up, go to work, come home, prepare for work the next day, wait for Sallie, and go to bed. I've been running on 5 hours of sleep and caffeine.



Seriously, that's what I look and feel like. Miraculously, not sleeping seems to have cured my baldness, but I've come down with a case of bleeding face scabs.

Sallie and I went to the True/False film festival a few weeks ago and saw some things that will never leave my mind.

The movie that probably affected me the most was one called Restrupo. An embedded journalist shows the life of a soldier in the most dangerous part of Afghanistan. We saw combat, death, laughs, tears, and bureaucracy at its best. It was hard to watch at parts. I started counting off the people I know in active duty. People that are stationed on the other side of the planet defending the little men in the world.

After each film, the festival has a Question and Answer session with the director or subjects. For the most part, 85% of people leave as soon as the credits roll. For Restrupo 95% of everyone stayed for a Q&A with some of the soldiers in the film. I don't think there was a single dry eye in the crowd. As soon as its available on DVD, watch it. It'll change you.

Sallie and I started into week seven of house hunting. It was getting to the point where we were going to find something or give up and try to save a monster down payment toward something. Then BAM! A gorgeous house pops up and is very reasonably priced. We debated all day, not sure if we should pull the trigger on a purchase this grand. We checked crime stats, the neighborhood makeup, house prices in the neighbor, everything was checking out. So we did it, and they accepted.


It feels like one of the last parts of growing up. I'm sort of sad that I don't have the flexibility that comes with renting anymore. But every time a tear comes to my eye, I hear my neighbors having sex, and all of a sudden I remember why I needed to get out.

So thank you Eric, you've given me the right to be loud and crude in the privacy of my own dwelling.

We had to cancel our Europe trip unfortunately. There was no way we were going to be able to take care of all of our house things, save up the necessary cash, and move with that trip sitting right in the midst of everything. Sucks, but hey, gotta do what you've gotta do.

As of right now the closing date is April 9th. So anyone giving away furniture, tools, or money, lets us know. Anyone that wants to help move, feel free. We don't have much, so it should be easy. (Key word is Should)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.