Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Ghosts of High-School

I took a four day weekend this week. Originally it was to celebrate the start of the hockey season and burn some PTO I had, but since hockey isn't happening, I made new plans and they happened to be a huge blast of Dan circa 1999-2003.

Thursday night, Sallie, Lacy, and I went to see the Smashing Pumpkins. It was Billy Corgan complete with his "Zero" shirt, surrounded by bored students who couldn't afford to see the Cardinals game and thousands of people my age dressed in their best flannel and black t-shirts. The Smashing Pumpkins are one of those bands I've skipped too many times, we had to go to this show and it was great.


Friday I spent the day out in St. Charles after dropping Sallie off at work. I met a buddy of mine I hadn't seen since I left for Mizzou for Cecil Whittakers pizza buffet, a past time of high-school as well. We spent the entire afternoon searching used game stores for Sega Genesis and Playstation 1 games, talking about Smashing Pumpkins, and pizza. I swear, for a moment, I thought I was 17 again.

Then yesterday, I thought I was done with the high-school-ness of my weekend, but we went to the wedding of one of Sallie's families close friends. I knew some of these people too, they road the same bus as me for a few years. Well, the weren't the only ones I knew from high-school.

I was seated next to a guy that wrestled one of my buddies in high-school. I somehow knew the best man, but I couldn't figure out what group of friends of ours overlapped and I ran into my first girlfriend and her new husband. The last time I saw Rebecca was at a Target in St. Charles in 2002. I just couldn't believe I was standing there, face to face with my entire summer of 2001, and having a conversation with her.

It was a crazy weekend.

No comments: