Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hello old friend

I've been busy lately... or course that's what I always say.

I find myself talking to myself a lot lately. I've been so incredibly busy since around February, that I've felt like I've been losing myself. I've become a 9-5er (errr rather 11:30-8er) and I come home, I plop down on the couch, my mouth hanging open, and play games until Sallie gets home.

Then a few weeks ago something popped inside my brain. A short circuit, or rather a jump start as I like to think of it. I've returned. My internal conversations have gone something like this.

"Hello old friend, I've missed you. We really should catch up. "

Here's the thing, I've had time to write in the past couple weeks, but I've had a creative burst lately. I've been fine tuning old stories I had, started a few new ones. I've been missing this creative burst since we left Myrtle Beach, but now its back with a vengeance.

I've been stuck on this world where all those things that most people say are make believe, are a part of society. I've started a few stories in this universe where there are super heroes, vampires, and fable characters are functioning parts of this society. The problem is, I always wanted to write the next great American novel. (Of course, every writer wants to do this) You don't normally write the next great American novel with the Wolfman running around.

Most artists aren't appreciated during their time, well writers of Science Fiction and fantasy aren't often recognized during their great grand children's time.

You either score like a J.R.R. Tolkien or people form a cult around your writing like L. Ron Hubbard.

So I'm glad the creative streak is back. These ridiculous fantasy stories seem to be where my brain is at right now, so I'll ride this out and see where it takes me. At least I'm more likely to have a movie made based on the book than people that write those serious stories.

No comments: